Monday, April 25, 2011

Eurovision 2011

As you all may or may not know, last year’s Eurovision was a bit of a turning point for me. For those of you not in the loop: the contest was sabotaged by my unborn son. Well, by his placenta really, but that doesn’t have the same ring to it. Instead of enjoying Eurovision at home, where the decorations were waiting and the guests had been invited, I spent the night of the second semi final hooked to a monitor in the maternity ward. Instead of being allowed to go home afterwards, I had to stay until they would do a C-section, so I also spent the night of the final in a hospital bed, with my wife, slowly swelling up like a gigantic water balloon with a monitor strapped to my belly and a midwife checking in on us from time to time.
Those midwives had no tact to wait until the commercial breaks. Pfff.

Anyway. All’s well that ends well they say, though I can’t deny Eurovision being a bit charged for me now. Delayed shock? Whatever you want to call it. But I’ve had the worst time trying to “get into” the contest this year. Was I going to go all out or not? Was anyone even reading this horrible crap I wrote?
But yeah, tradition won out. So I took a listen and watched youtube videos. In the consolation that this year, there’s no placenta to ruin the whole thing. And that if my son decides to get a horrible ear infection during the final (or whatever else) I’ll know for sure that we’ve got years of Eurovision-struggle ahead. It’s best to be prepared I suppose.

So here we go.

Dino Merlin is going to win. Can we establish that before anything else? Or Blue. But probably our Dino. And not just because he’s Bosnian or because he’s got the coolest name ever : Dino Merlin! It sounds like a nickname for a Harry Potter slash writer! No, his song’s going to win because it’s a brilliant earworm.

But ok, granted, I haven’t heard all the other songs yet, so I might just get on with it and give the rest a chance.
Not that any of them are going to win.

Semi Final one: from “haba haba” over “boom boom” to “da da dam” and “watch my dance”. It’s not exactly university stuff, is it.

2 comments:

Nick said...

So glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

"Was anyone even reading this horrible crap I wrote?"

Ik! Dit is nog beter dan de uitzendingen zelf! :)

Zonet nog even naar liedjes van vorig jaar geluisterd. Ik was de Nederlandse Sieneke al helemaal vergeten. Zoals ze zelf zong: "
"Hoe kan ik dat, hoe kan ik dat…
Hoe kan ik dat nou vergeten?"

Eurosong, het blijft top - althans in zijn genre! :)