Monday, May 04, 2009

The Netherlands – The Toppers – Shine

After so much beauty we’d need something to bring us down, and thankfully Gordon & co are there for us. And notice how “De Toppers” became “The Toppers”. Oh, Toppers, and you promised you wouldn’t change! I’m devastated by your treason. When we watched the Dutch national final we thought this song, while terribly oldfashioned, was more or less bearable. Now I’m thinking I was probably on drugs when I voiced that opinion. This whole thing is wrong wrong wrong wrong: from the slow build up, to the Done-By-Slovenia-Ages-Ago lights in their hands, to the cheesy lyrics (“love will make us glow in the dark –that’ll be a nuisance, won’t it-, open up your heart”) and not even the keychange redeems it. If they make it through (which I hope they don’t) it’s on the merit of being the last performance of the evening. That or a massive European lobotomy.

No comments: