Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Nerdy Eurovision Stuff


http://www.escinsight.com/2014/05/13/split-views-between-the-jury-and-the-public-votes-at-eurovision-2014/

I love nerdy Eurovision stuff.
And John P Egan. 

I'm glad the jury system is in place. 5 people is hardly representative and I'd like the number to be bigger, but still, for me you at least get a "more fair" result. Where songs are based more on merit and not just on the televoters' heritage.  It's normal that people will vote for their country of origin or their neighbouring countries, because they often know the songs and singers, and because there's a sense of cultural pride. But in all honesty, those songs aren't always the songs they like the best. In my opinion the juries balance that out.

In the Belgian televote Armenia would have won. It was a good song, but I'm pretty sure over 90% of the televoters were from Armenian origin. I wouldn't have voted it so low as the jury did, but that's where personal taste comes in I suppose.   

And Poland seems to be "punished" by the jury system. But then, if we're being honest, how many televoters voted for the song and how many for the ladies' erm...milk churning abilities?

It'll never be perfect, but I'm glad the jury system is in place.

No comments: